How to Fix It When Facebook Messenger Was not Load Messages : This article covers a variety of solutions to fix Facebook Messenger bugs and bugs that prevent text and media from loading completely in Messenger conversations with people and pages.
Why is FB Messenger not working?
- 1 Fix It When Facebook Messenger Was not Load Messages
- 2 How do I fix Messenger not loading messages?
- 3 FAQ Fix It When Facebook Messenger Was not Load Messages
Facebook Messenger is not loading messages or media properly usually
- Facebook service is shutting down or experiencing problems
- Messenger app is getting old
- Wrong data settings being selected
- Blocking a user on Facebook Messenger
Fix It When Facebook Messenger Was not Load Messages
The fixes on this page can be applied to Facebook Messenger on iPhone and iPad, Android smartphones and tablets, and Windows and Mac PCs. However, some solutions are platform specific and are labeled as such.
How do I fix Messenger not loading messages?
Here are all the proven solutions to fix Facebook Messenger loading problems. The fixes are listed in order of easiest and fastest to more advanced.
- Check if Facebook Messenger is down. Maybe Facebook’s messaging service has stopped. This can prevent messages from loading properly on the app and on the Facebook website.
- Double check which app you are using. It may sound like a fundamental improvement, but with the increasing number of messaging apps available now, it’s easy to spot the wrong one when chatting with contacts across multiple platforms.
- Send message in Facebook Messenger. Posting messages in chat can force the Facebook Messenger app to check Facebook’s servers for new data and download the latest text and media.
- Turn off Airplane Mode. Airplane Mode disables both Wi-Fi and cellular data that are needed to connect to Facebook’s servers. The process for disabling Airplane Mode depends on your platform: Android [Using Airplane Mode on Android], iPhone and iPad [Using Airplane Mode on iPhone and iPad] or Windows [Airplane Mode on Windows using].
- Turn Airplane Mode on and off again. Enable Airplane Mode, wait 2 minutes and then disable it again. This will force your device to make a new connection to both your cellular network and any available Wi-Fi networks.
- Turn off Wi-Fi and use cellular. It’s possible that your Wi-Fi is turned off or there are other issues. Turning off Wi-Fi will prompt your device to use your cellular connection, if you have one, to connect to the Internet.
- Turn off cellular and use Wi-Fi only. If your smartphone is having trouble connecting to your cellular network, messages in Facebook Messenger may not load completely or at all. Try connecting to a Wi-Fi network to see if this fixes the problem.
- If you suspect that 5G is causing the data problem, you can also disable the 5G cellular connection. The process to disable 5G depends on your platform such as iPhone [Turn off 5G on iPhone].
- Disable your VPN. Disable it temporarily or turn it off and see if that fixes your Messenger problems.
- Quit Facebook Messenger and re-open it. Close the Facebook Messenger app completely and re-open the app. Remember, simply minimizing the app doesn’t force the app to restart. The process to close an app depends on the platform you are using: iPhone [Close app on iPhone] or Android [Close app on Android].
- Restart your computer or smartphone. The process of restarting your device varies depending on the device you are using: iPhone [Restart iPhone]. Android [Restart Android device], Windows [Restart Windows], or Mac [Restart Mac].
- Update Facebook Messenger app. You may need to update the app on your device to receive the latest security updates that will allow new content to be loaded in chats.
- Update your operating system. An outdated operating system can cause connectivity problems with some online services and apps like Facebook Messenger.
- The process for updating your device’s operating system varies depending on your platform: Windows [Update Windows], macOS [Update macOS], iOS [Update iOS], or Android [Update Android].
- Check if you have been blocked on Facebook Messenger. Being unable to load a conversation with someone in the Messenger app may be a sign that the person has blocked you from communicating with them.
- See if you have been blocked on Facebook. You may also want to check if you have been completely blocked by a contact on Facebook as this can also prevent the conversation from loading.
- Turn off low data mode. This option can prevent apps like Facebook Messenger from pulling the latest information from the server. How to turn off low data mode depends on which platform you use, but here’s how to turn off low data mode on iPhone.
- Turn on Background App Refresh. On iPhone, choose Settings > Messenger and turn on Background App Refresh. There are different background app settings for Android smartphones and tablets.
- Re-install Messenger app. Uninstalling the app on your iPhone or Android device and then reinstalling it can fix many of the problems you may be experiencing.
- Try the Facebook website. One possibility is that the problem is occurring in the Facebook Messenger app, not the actual Facebook Messenger service. Open Facebook website in web browser and try to open chat conversation there.
- clear your browser cache. By clearing your browser’s cache you will force the browser to fetch new data and hopefully your messages.
- Clear your cached data on Facebook. This process may improve certain functionality on the Facebook Platform and its services, including Facebook Messenger.
- Reset Network Settings. If you are facing internet connection issues on more than one app,
FAQ Fix It When Facebook Messenger Was not Load Messages
How do I deactivate Facebook Messenger?
There is no way to deactivate Facebook Messenger without deactivating your Facebook account. To hide your online status, select your profile icon > Active Status.
How do I see messages from non-friends on Facebook Messenger?
To see hidden Facebook messages in the Messenger app, tap your profile icon > Message requests> You might know. In a web browser, select Messenger Icon > Three-dot Icon > Message Requests> See All in Messenger.
How do I know if someone has blocked me on Facebook Messenger?
To tell if someone blocked you on Facebook Messenger, send that person a message. If it does, they probably haven’t blocked you. If not, the person may have blocked you. If you can see that person’s Facebook profile, they may have blocked you on Messenger but not on Facebook.